City Creek Trails, Pocatello: Idaho's Networked Delight
Tucked away to the south of Pocatello in Idaho, the City Creek Trails stretch an impressive 20 miles, offering riders a mosaic of singletracks known among locals as a 'spaghetti polonaise'. Winding through the serene landscapes of Pocatello, these intermediate-level trails offer an eclectic biking experience, setting them apart from many other routes in the state.
- Terrain & Environment: A slightly concave and smooth surface makes for easy navigation, with undulating paths that are largely devoid of technical challenges. The ambiance ranges from open grasslands to tree-lined creeks, making every pedal worth the effort.
- Viewpoint Galore: Higher trails gift riders with a panoramic view over Pocatello to the north.
- Trail Connectivity: The popular Lower City Creek Trail is the gateway to this network, bustling during the evening rush hours. However, the Bench Track, just a short detour, offers a quieter alternative. The network connects seamlessly with other trails such as Gibson Jack and Slate Mountain, totaling over 50 miles of diversified singletrack experiences.
- Navigation: Occasional signage assists newcomers, but with a persistent northern view, getting lost is a challenge in itself. For an adrenaline-packed ride, "Over the Top" provides an altitude gain of 1800 feet over a 10-mile loop.
- Variety & Options: City Creek Trails, especially the upper section, snake through majestic groves of aspen and mountain maple. Some stretches even boast a natural 'tunnel' under dense branches.
- Trail Condition: Predominantly hardpack clay interspersed with occasional rocks and roots. The proximity of the trail to the city makes it a go-to for quick workouts.
- Cyclist Traffic: While weekends can get crowded, weekdays typically offer a more solitary experience.
- For Newbies & Veterans Alike: Whether a rider is searching for an introductory biking experience or a more seasoned ride, this network caters to all. The trails are well-maintained, and as one long-time rider notes, they've witnessed the sport's growing popularity shape these trails over the last 30 years.
For those eager to embark on this journey, three trailheads with parking facilities are available on the south side of Pocatello. The most frequented one is located off South Grant Avenue, while others can be found atop City Creek Road and up Fore Road.
City Creek Trails, set in Pocatello, Idaho, offer a distinctive cycling experience. The trail network's versatility makes it a favorite among both newcomers and seasoned riders. With an expansive view, diverse landscapes, and connectivity to a broader network, it's a must-ride for anyone looking to explore Idaho's cycling trails.