Richmond, Virginia boasts a myriad of cycling trails, each with its own charm and allure. Among them, the Old Mill Trail in Pocahontas State Park stands out as a must-ride for any serious biker in the region. With its well-marked loops, technical reroutes, and stunning views, the trail promises an invigorating experience for both beginner and seasoned riders.
- Distance: 12 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route type: Point to point
- City: Richmond
- State: Virginia
To access the trail, take I-95, and then Exit 61. Head west on Route 10 until reaching Route 655 (Beach Road). After approximately 2 miles, make a right onto Beach Road. 5 miles later, look for the entrance on the right side with parking available at the CCC museum.
- Lake View Loops (LV): The trail system consists of three loops – LV1 (5 miles), LV2 (8-9 miles), and LV3 (11 miles). These loops are well-signed and interconnected, making it easy for riders to transition from one to another.
- Technical Reroutes: Red reroutes offer an additional challenge for advanced riders, adding a spicy touch to the overall experience.
- Terrain: The trails provide a mix of fast flow, fun obstacles, and slightly more technical option lines. The Lake View trails are particularly recommended for beginners and intermediates. Advanced riders can enjoy the trail by pushing the pace on the downhills.
- Scenery: With its backwoods ambiance, the trail offers breathtaking lake views and the chance to traverse beautiful rock gardens, log crossings, and the occasional jump.
- Maintenance: Many riders commend the excellent upkeep of the trail system, which can be attributed to the RVA More team. Clear markings and mile indicators ensure that even newcomers can navigate the paths with ease.
- For those who enjoy a good cardio workout without much technical difficulty, the Lake Loops provide smooth, flowy rides. The area named Little West VA does offer more of a technical challenge for those seeking it.
- If you’re venturing beyond Lake View I & II, it's worth noting that these have different terrains and challenges. Lake View I has trails color-coded by difficulty (Green for Beginners, Blue for Intermediates, and Red for Experts).
- Before planning a ride, it's wise to check the trail status. Heavy rainfalls can lead to temporary closures to prevent trail damage.
The Old Mill Trail is a testament to Richmond’s vibrant cycling community. With its versatile terrain, scenic views, and excellent maintenance, it's a trail that promises a memorable riding experience. Whether you're local or just passing by, make sure to add this gem to your cycling bucket list.