Situated in the scenic city of Ocoee, Tennessee, the Chilhowee Recreational Area offers an expansive 20-mile bike trail network that promises an unforgettable adventure for cyclists of all proficiency levels. From picturesque vistas, challenging terrains, to serene waterfall visits, these trails have something for every enthusiast.
Trails to Explore
- Benton Falls Trail
- Rimrock Trail
- Slickrock Trail
- Clear Creek Trail
- Red Leaf Trail
- Azalea Trail
- Arbutus Trail
- Clemmer Trail
- Clear Creek Trail: A word of caution for riders – this trail is recommended solely for experts due to its precarious spots.
- Clemmer Trail: This trail challenges cyclists with a tough 4-mile uphill climb. Yet, the stunning panoramic views at the summit are worth the exertion. Many cyclists enjoy riding up Clemmer to the campground, followed by Azalea to Clear Creek to Rimrock, finally descending via Clemmer.
- One must not miss out on a quick detour to Benton Falls. Park the bike and take a short hike down to witness the natural beauty of the falls.
- Cyclists seeking an old-school thrill will find the combination of Slickrock loop and Clear Creek trail an exhilarating ride. But be prepared for some intense climbs.
- For those keen on a swift downhill experience, Clemmer offers a thrilling descent. Just ensure you maintain control, especially on the gravelly patches.
From interstate 75 north of Chattanooga, TN, take the Cleveland Bypass to 64. This leads you to Ocoee lake and past the Ocoee Dam. A few miles after the Dam, the Ranger station appears on the left (across from the lake). For the Chilhowee Recreational Area trails, take a left after the ranger station and journey up the mountain. Alternatively, continue past the ranger station, turn onto route 30, and the bike parking area on the left marks the starting point of the Clemmer Trail.
Feedback from Cyclists
- "The uphill challenge of Clemmers is a rewarding one with creek crossings and intriguing stretches of sand and slick rock mini-drops."
- "The trail from the trailhead to Benton Falls totals about 4.6 miles. A largely non-technical trail, it combines road rock, sandstone, granite, and a few swift stream crossings."
- "This trail network reflects everything East TN stands for - from the heart-racing climbs to the scenic descents."
The Chilhowee Recreational Area bike trails in Ocoee, Tennessee, offer cyclists a blend of natural beauty, thrilling terrains, and the promise of an unmatched outdoor experience. From beginners to experts, there's an adventure waiting for everyone. And while you're at it, don't forget to break and soak in the scenic beauty of the Benton Falls. Happy cycling!