Baileys Trail System: Southeast Ohio's Emerging Cycling Haven
Tucked away in Athens, Ohio, lies the Baileys Trail System - an evolving cycling destination that promises up to a staggering 88 miles of biking trails in the near future. With a network layout, this trail system offers a unique blend of terrains catering to riders of all skill levels. Although it's still undergoing enhancements, early riders have vouched for the incredible experience it offers.
Navigating to the Trail
For accurate directions to the trail, prospective riders are recommended to consult the provided map. It's crucial to be updated on any changes or diversions due to ongoing construction work.
Trail Features & Insights
- Varied Skill Levels: The trail system boasts a range of paths for beginners, intermediate riders, and advanced cyclists. Popular segments include the Gob Pile Loop, Coal Train Trail, and Salt Works Trail.
- Orientation Matters: Many riders have noted the difference in experience based on the direction chosen. While some recommend a counter-clockwise ride for a balanced mix of climbs and flows, others have found the clockwise direction a tad more challenging, particularly in the climbing sections.
- Trail Condition: Despite being under construction, several segments of the trail are in commendable condition, offering smooth rides and well-groomed paths.
- Scenic Beauty: Beyond the physical challenge, the Baileys Trail System offers riders an aesthetic treat with its breathtaking natural scenery.
Rider Feedback & Tips
Feedback from the early riders has been instrumental in understanding the unique aspects of this trail:
- The trail system, despite its 'Very Easy' tag, offers spots that can be demanding, especially in terms of climbs.
- For those seeking a more flowy experience, taking the counter-clockwise route on the Gob Pile Loop, Coal Train Trail, and Salt Works Trail comes highly recommended.
- The current parking facilities are yet to be expanded. Thus, riders might want to consider reaching early to secure spots.
- The promise of "fast and flowy" sections is indeed fulfilled, but this largely depends on the chosen trail segments and riding direction.
The Baileys Trail System in Chauncey, Ohio, is fast becoming a significant name in Southeast Ohio's cycling community. Its well-maintained paths, coupled with the allure of varied terrains and picturesque views, make it a must-visit. With more developments in the pipeline, this trail system is set to be a magnet for biking enthusiasts in the years to come.