Anthill at Santos: Florida's Technically Tenacious Trail
The Anthill trail at Santos is the epitome of challenge, renowned for being one of, if not the most technical courses in the location. Despite being less than a mile in length, it delivers an action-packed experience. Uncharacteristically rocky for a Florida trail, Anthill is packed with sharp, steep climbs and descents that will test even the most seasoned riders.
Navigating to the Trail
To access Anthill with the least hassle:
- Start at the main trailhead and proceed left down Pine Tree.
- Make a right turn onto Shorty.
- Continue until reaching Dr. Ruth and turn left.
- Anthill will soon be visible, after passing landmarks such as Cowbone and Rattlesnake Ridge.
Feedback from Cyclists
- Intensity in Short Spurts: Though compact in length, Anthill's challenges are condensed, providing riders with sharp, technical rises and falls.
- A Trail for the Experts: This is not a trail for the faint-hearted. Many riders, unless they're particularly skilled, might find themselves walking their bikes through some of the trail's more demanding sections. One cyclist humorously remarked about having to "pansy out" and walk parts of it.
- Accolades for the Design: The 'Swamp' group has received kudos for their immaculate design, making it a favorite for those in proximity. One rider expressed the wish to live closer, signifying the pull of the trail.
- Comparative Feedback: While expert riders would find the trail exhilarating, those with moderate skills might prefer routes like IMBA Red and John Brown. These are perceived as more manageable and hence more enjoyable for riders not yet at the expert level.
Located in Ocala, Florida, Anthill's reputation precedes it. It might be short, but what it lacks in length, it more than compensates for in intensity. Marked as 'Very Difficult', it stands out in Florida's network of trails. Whether aiming to conquer it or simply enjoy the rush it promises, Anthill guarantees a memorable ride. Yet, always remember: while it beckons the best of riders, it's essential to approach with caution and respect for one's skill level.