Morgantown's Hidden Gem: The Flowing Trails of US 119
Nestled within the heart of Morgantown, West Virginia, a sprawling network of biking trails offers a harmonious blend of speed and adventure. While Morgantown is known for its picturesque landscapes, this particular trail system promises a unique biking experience.
Quick Trail Overview:
- Distance: 4 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route type: Network
- City: Morgantown
- State: West Virginia
Dive Into the Flow
The most striking feature of these trails? Their fast and flowy nature. Cyclists can easily lose themselves in the rhythm of the path, dodging minor obstacles, looping routes, and soaring over strategically placed jumps. This isn't a trail that stretches across vast distances, but what it lacks in length, it makes up for in its maze-like quality. The sheer variety allows bikers to string together different routes, ensuring that each ride feels fresh and invigorating.
Finding the start of the trail is a breeze. From downtown Morgantown, simply take the US 119 till Callen Street. A left here, followed by a right onto Mississippi Street, will guide adventurers to the very heart of this biking haven.
While experts on the site and personal trials offer insights, nothing matches the real-world experience of fellow bikers:
- Versatility at Its Best: One of the standout features is its ability to cater to a range of biking appetites. Whether it's working on personal skills, seeking some fun-filled fast tracks, or simply exploring, this network has got it all.
- A Bumpy Affair: While generally smooth, there's a sprinkling of tree roots across the trail. On some days, they add to the thrill, giving that rugged mountain biking feel. On others, they might seem a tad challenging, especially for those on hardtails. But fret not! Recent maintenance work has seen gravel filling in some of the rutted areas, promising a smoother ride.
- Local Support: This trail's impeccable condition can be attributed to the relentless efforts of the Morgantown Board of Parks and Recreation and the local biking community. Regular maintenance ensures that the paths remain clear, and the presence of parking spaces and water fountains further enhance the biking experience.
- Beginner Friendly: While labeled intermediate due to some scattered obstacles, beginners will find the trail welcoming. It provides an excellent ground to learn and hone biking skills.
- Contact Points: For those new to the area or looking to get deeper insights into the trail, local shops like Pathfinder or Wamsley can be of assistance. They're also great spots to connect with fellow bikers.
Morgantown's US 119 biking trail is more than just a path; it's an experience. So, gear up, ride on, and let the landscape guide the journey!