Situated in Munising, Michigan's heart, the Valleyspur Bike Trail is a part of the Hiawatha National Forest, spanning a good 10 miles. Tailored as a network route, it presents a well-maintained mixture of terrains for enthusiasts to explore. Those eager to view the layout beforehand can check the map here.
The Riding Experience
- Terrain and Trail Condition: Predominantly sandy in nature, the trail ensures excellent drainage. Recent experiences have attested to its resilience, being perfectly rideable even after prolonged rainfall without any trace of puddles or mud.
- Technical Aspects: What sets Valleyspur apart is the absence of rocks and a minimal presence of roots. This ensures a smooth ride, perfect for those who enjoy swift cycling without frequent obstructions.
- Climbs and Descents: The trail features a series of short punchy climbs interspersed with many switchbacks. While these climbs can be a challenge, they are balanced with exhilarating descents, giving riders that adrenaline rush.
- Signage and Maintenance: Though the trail is generally well marked, there are calls for improved signage in certain sections. A section of the trail is currently closed owing to logging activities. Moreover, recent work on a particular segment means the lines aren't well-established through that part yet.
To get to this biking haven, aim for E8017 State Highway M-94 in Munising, MI 49862.
Numerous cyclists who've taken on this trail have a lot to say:
- The trail's design showcases exemplary flow, interspersed with turns and jumps. A testament to the skill and dedication of those who laid it out.
- Novices and seasoned riders alike have appreciated the trail, especially the green loop by the river. The absence of roots and presence of banked corners make for a pleasurable riding experience.
- Parts of the trail still seem to be under construction or recently worked upon. Despite this, the single track functions splendidly in both directions.
- The trail's sandy terrain ensures good speeds, but riders have expressed a desire for more obstacles to make the trail more challenging.
- A few suggested skipping the main trails, which might entail walking up steeper terrains, and heading straight for the newer single track.
The Valleyspur Bike Trail, with its strategic design and excellent maintenance, offers both thrill and ease. Perfect for an intermediate rider, but also promising a fulfilling ride for beginners and experts. If you're in or around Munising, this trail is an experience not to be missed.