Coon Hollow Trail Loop: A Rocky Delight in Rapid City
Just a stone's throw from the renowned Mt. Rushmore lies Coon Hollow Trail Loop—a picturesque, rocky bike trail set amidst the piney terrains of the Black Hills in Rapid City, South Dakota. Boasting 6 miles of well-marked looping trails, it promises both upward challenges and exhilarating descents for riders.
- Distance: 6 miles
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Route: Loop
- Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Embarking on Coon Hollow's Adventure
Starting from Coon Hollow Trailhead, the trail is generally ridden in a counterclockwise direction. Upon reaching the fork, make a right, and the orange markers will be your guide, spread generously throughout the loop, ensuring riders don't lose their way. With a balanced mix of ascents and descents, expect both moments of exertion and periods of thrill, especially on the downward paths that are truly invigorating.
- Storm Mountain Trailhead at Coon Hollow offers ample orange triangle markers, helping riders navigate through. Especially for those unfamiliar with the terrain, these markers come as a great aid.
- For first-timers, a point of note: Coon Hollow Trailhead is ideally located in Rockville near Hwy 16 and Main Street, not off Hwy 44.
- A perfect spot for family rides, Coon Hollow is also close to several landmarks, making it a favorite for tourists visiting Mt. Rushmore or camping in Rockerville.
- For those seeking more than just uphill climbs, the trail provides downhill-style features that are absolutely worth the initial exertion. And for those with an adventurous spirit, venturing across the road could unveil even more exhilarating paths, though they might be a bit too challenging for XC style riders.
- Coon Hollow isn't merely about ups and downs; it offers a nice rhythm of climbs followed by short descents and then ascents again. After rainfall, some sections might get a bit slippery, so extra caution is advised.
- While the main loop is approximately 7 miles, it's not overly technical. However, watch out for sharp rocks that could be unforgiving on tires.
Directions to the Trail
Reaching Coon Hollow
Set course south on US 16 from Rapid City—the same route that leads to Mt. Rushmore. After about 11 miles, take a right onto Silver Mountain Road, just past the Rockerville exits. Journey a sixth of a mile inward, and the first right introduces the Coon Hollow Trailhead—where the adventurous loop begins.
Coon Hollow Trail Loop stands out as a captivating, balanced trail, welcoming riders from different backgrounds. Whether one is looking for challenging climbs, rapid descents, or simply a pleasant ride amidst nature, Coon Hollow delivers on all fronts. So, strap on that helmet and embark on this rocky ride. Happy cycling!