In the heart of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, lies an often-overlooked treasure trove for cyclists: The Riverview Trails. Boasting an 8-mile network of singletrack and doubletrack trails, it offers a diverse riding experience. Here's a closer look at what this relatively unknown trail has to offer.
Dive into the specifics:
- Trail Type: A mix of singletrack and doubletrack trails. The marked paths are apt for both mountain biking and cross-country running or hiking.
- Level: Described as "very easy," but don't let that deter you—there's plenty here to keep the heart rate elevated.
- Trail Highlights: The "violet trail" has won favor among many, while the "snowflake" trail offers a challenging experience with its rocky terrain and inclines.
- Signage: Trails are named, making navigation relatively easier.
How to Get There
- Location: The starting point is Riverview Drive, conveniently located off Perrysville Avenue in Pittsburgh, PA.
Cyclists Weigh In
A mosaic of experiences paints the story of the Riverview Trails:
- Popularity: Despite its proximity to the city and diverse features, the trail surprisingly doesn't draw large crowds. It's a hidden gem waiting to be explored.
- Terrain: Be prepared for some steep climbs and descents. These offer an excellent opportunity for hill training and testing one's endurance.
- Conditions: Even after bouts of rain, the trail remains largely free of mud, with only a few exceptions. This ensures a smooth ride most times of the year.
- Safety: Solo riders and those with canine companions have found the trail to be secure, even during nighttime rides.
- Accessibility: Ample parking is available, with options next to the observatory on Riverview Ave or further down the avenue at a designated parking area.
While opinions on the Riverview Trails are mixed, the consensus is clear: It's a trail that deserves attention. Especially for those residing nearby, it offers quick access to a world of cycling fun. Whether training for hill climbs, seeking technical challenges, or just enjoying a leisurely ride, Riverview is the go-to spot for Pittsburgh cyclists in the know. For outsiders, it's a refreshing detour from the more crowded trails in the state.