Masonic Hill, nestled in the picturesque landscapes of Park City, Utah, is home to a web of invigorating bike trails. This 10-mile point-to-point route offers riders a rewarding mix of uphill climbs and downhill thrills. Beyond the athletic challenge, it unveils panoramic views of Park City and the encompassing regions.
Reaching the Trailhead
To dive into this exhilarating experience:
- Directions: Start from the roundabout on Deer Valley Drive in Old Town Park City. Heading east towards Deer Valley Resort, locate Mellow Mountain Road on the left after a short distance. Travel a tad further, and the trail unveils itself on the right.
- Initiate the journey with a .75-mile uphill climb to the peak of Masonic Hill, standing tall at 7,462 ft.
- At the summit, two primary downhill routes beckon: Solamere or Masonic.
- The network comprises several interconnected trails, allowing riders to craft their unique journey around Masonic Hill.
Riders have generously shared their experiences, enriching the trail's narrative:
- Trail Diversity: The trail boasts a captivating blend of rocks, swift flowy sections, and rewarding climbs. One rider trekked 20 miles, relishing every segment.
- Trail Challenges: Some parts, especially after the initial 500-foot ascent from Mellow Mountain Road, might appear a tad washed out.
- Recommended Loop: Many favor climbing up Gambel Oak, transitioning to Masonic, and culminating at the Lost Prospector Area.
- Trail Character: Masonic Hill Trails emanate an old-school charm, contrasting with modern machine-built routes. Their tight and twisty nature offers an exhilarating challenge. Furthermore, the rocky terrain gifts riders with breathtaking views of Park City and its environs.
- Trail Ratings: While a majority of the sections are intermediate, certain parts are labeled advanced and even black diamond, suggesting pockets of intensified challenge.
Tips & Recommendations
- Consider the counter-clockwise route for tighter switchbacks at Masonic's onset.
- While the trails are primarily intermediate, it's advisable to remain vigilant for the advanced and black diamond sections.
- For enthusiasts who relish broader, smoother tracks, Masonic Hill offers a delightful twist with its tight, challenging trails.
- The uphill climb can be quite demanding with steep, switchbacked sections. Hence, some stamina-saving might come in handy.
For those exploring Park City, Utah, the Masonic Hill Trails promise an unparalleled biking experience. The trail's diverse nature, coupled with its scenic charm, ensures that every ride is memorable. Whether a novice or a seasoned rider, Masonic Hill invites all to conquer its terrains.