Pinecone Ridge: A Two-Way Trek in Park City's Heights
Nestled in Park City, Utah, Pinecone Ridge, constructed in 2012, stands as a testament to modern trail design. Whether one seeks the thrill of a swift descent or the challenge of a steady climb, Pinecone Ridge serves up an experience unlike any other.
- Distance: 2.1 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Out & Back
- City: Park City
- State: Utah
The route, often referred to simply as "Pinecone", is unique in its construction. Here's why:
- Primarily, it's seen as the gentlest singletrack climb leading up to the famous Wasatch Crest Trail. The gradient remains even, allowing riders to find a rhythm.
- Descending is a treat, resembling a downhill pumptrack. Riders are treated to berms, rollers, jumps, and small double jumps that dot the mountainside, creating a flow that's hard to resist.
- For clarity, this trail, while popularly known as "Pinecone Ridge", is often referred to as just "Pinecone". Regardless of the name, the essence remains unchanged.
- It's a two-way, shared, back-country trail, but the majority seem to prefer the ascent. The 4-mile stretch climbs over 1500 feet, effectively continuing where the Armstrong Trail concludes. Together, these two paths conquer almost 3000 feet over 8 miles, beginning from Park City Mountain Resort's base.
- Both Pinecone and Armstrong are cherished not only by cyclists but also by hiking enthusiasts. Their popularity makes them a staple in the Park City IMBA Epic loop.
- Some brave souls, however, dare to differ, claiming the descent, even amidst snow, offers a euphoric experience unparalleled by the climb.
Considering its two-way nature and the mix of enthusiastic descenders and ascenders, it's imperative to maintain caution. Keeping an eye out for oncoming riders ensures everyone's safety and enjoyment.In conclusion, Pinecone Ridge exemplifies what climbing singletrack ought to be: steady, engaging, and rewarding. Whether one wishes to challenge their stamina by ascending or feel the wind while descending, Pinecone Ridge promises an exhilarating ride. The allure of Park City's trails grows with each pedal stroke on this iconic path.