North Augusta's Greeneway: A Scenic Ride Through the Heart of the City
Nestled in the heart of North Augusta, South Carolina, lies the Greeneway - a smooth, paved trail designed for both leisure and athletic activities.
A Glimpse into the Greeneway
With an overall distance of 5 miles, this trail weaves its way through a myriad of neighborhoods and landscapes, giving riders a comprehensive view of North Augusta's diverse surroundings.
- Starting Points and Landmarks:
- Western Terminus: Accessible at Pisgah Road, just a stone's throw from Five Notch Road.
- Eastern Terminus: Situated at the River Golf Club entrance, adjacent to the Greeneway Tunnel.
- Riverview Park: Located at the trail's midpoint, and serving as an alternative entrance.
Additionally, the Greeneway is sectioned off into phases, each of which has its own charm:
- Phase I: Stretching from the Georgia Avenue Bridge to Martintown Road, this 3.3-mile section showcases the trail's original blueprint.
- Phase II: Extending the trail by another 1.5 miles to the western terminus at Pisgah Road.
- Phase IV: Finalized in 2000, this half-mile extension leads riders from the Georgia Avenue Bridge to the RiverClub Golf Course clubhouse.
Moreover, there's anticipation brewing about the upcoming extension into North Augusta Riverfront, which will span 1.5 miles and offer riders breathtaking views of the Savannah River.
Reaching the Greeneway
Embarking from Augusta, GA, take I-20 eastwards to SC. Once at Exit 1, head south on Martintown Road (SC 230), following signs leading to Riverview Park and Greeneway. The trail's organizers have provided a contact number (803-441-4300) and an email ([email protected]) for any inquiries or assistance.
Cyclist Insights on the Greeneway
Feedback from fellow cyclists paints a picture of the Greeneway experience:
- The majority find it apt for family outings, with its flat, wide, and paved surface ensuring comfort for all age groups.
- The trail isn't only about cycling. Expect to see frisbee golfers, walkers, and joggers, especially around Red Brick Pond.
- If seeking a mild challenge, the gradient from Riverview Park to Pisgah Rd. offers a noticeable incline - perfect for a cardio boost.
- The trail's proximity to the Savannah River means riders are often treated to sightings of local wildlife, making for an enriching experience.
- However, some portions are currently under construction, which may lead to temporary rerouting.
The Greeneway in North Augusta, South Carolina, is more than just a trail; it's an experience. Whether aiming for a rigorous workout, a gentle ride, or some scenic photography, this trail caters to all. A reminder to be cautious of pedestrians, abide by trail rules, and most importantly, soak in the beauty that is the Greeneway.