Located within the bustling city limits of Castle Rock, Colorado, Memmen Ridge Trail offers a serene yet speedy escape from urban life. With a concise loop stretching only 2 miles, this trail might not be the epic odyssey advanced riders are seeking. But for beginners or locals looking for an after-work recharge, Memmen Ridge provides a satisfying slice of nature and biking fun.
How to Get There
Getting to Memmen Ridge is straightforward. For those driving on I-25:
- Take Exit 182, labeled as Wolfensberger Rd/Wilcox St.
- Turn east at the exit ramp and continue on Wilcox St for 0.6 miles.
- Make a left on 2nd St and go for about 0.3 miles.
- Turn right onto Gilbert St and proceed for 0.1 miles.
- Finally, make a left at South St, followed by a quick right at Oman Road.
The trailhead parking lot will appear on your left-hand side.
Trail Features and Riding Experience
- Route Type: Loop
- Level: Very Easy
- Distance: 2 miles
- Elevation Gain: Approximately 250 feet
While not a haven for adrenaline junkies, Memmen Ridge Trail offers some merits that keep cyclists coming back:
- Accessibility: The trail is extremely accessible, conveniently located between Denver and Colorado Springs just off I-25.
- Beginner-Friendly: Smooth climbs and non-intimidating descents make this a perfect trail for newcomers to mountain biking.
- Fast Workouts: The loop is concise enough to be covered multiple times for a quick, but thorough, exercise session.
- Diversity for Skilled Riders: Although the trail is simple, it features a few tricky sections that keep experienced riders attentive.
Cyclists have lauded the trail for its beginner-friendly features and proximity to residential areas. The trail's tight turns and sandy patches, however, draw mixed reviews. Some find the sand an added challenge, while others think it hinders their ability to maintain speed. The circuitous route also seems to split opinions; some enjoy the frequent turns for their workout value, while others view them as tedious interruptions.
Additional Tips and Recommendations
- Best Time to Ride: Weekdays offer fewer crowds. Weekends may attract more beginner cyclists and families.
- Safety: Although not technical, the sandy patches and sharp turns can cause accidents if one is not cautious. Riding counter-clockwise offers a smoother experience for most.
- Gear: Given the sandy conditions, it might be helpful to have a bike that can handle softer terrain efficiently.
Memmen Ridge Trail serves a particular niche, and it serves it well. While it may not offer a whole day's adventure, it brings a quick and refreshing biking experience that can be squeezed into any busy schedule.