Key Trail Details
- Distance: 5 mi (note: Some users reported it as up to 13 mi)
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Out & Back
- Location: Pine, Colorado
An In-depth Exploration of Little Scraggy
Emerging as a shining star in the Buffalo Creek network, the Little Scraggy trail, freshly sculpted by the hands of COMBA, is showing its potential as a future classic. Beginning from the Little Scraggy TH, after crossing FR 550, riders are treated to a southern stretch filled with fascinating features. There's a majestic 100-foot slab rock, various technical feature options, and an undulating landscape that provides both ascent and descent, with a single pronounced climb around the midpoint. The trail currently culminates at a campground but holds promises of one day encircling the Little Scraggy Peak.
Riding the Trail: Experiences Shared
- Trail Design: Boasting both natural and man-made features, the trail is often described as purpose-built for mountain biking. From buttery smooth sections to granitic landmarks, the path allows riders to experience a balanced mix of technical challenges and breezy rides.
- Direction Matters: A consensus seems to form around riding the trail clockwise (CW), especially when coming from the eastern side. This direction seems to offer the most enjoyable flow, allowing riders to make the most of the descents and tackle climbs more effectively.
- Terrain Insights: The trail, while predominantly smooth, does have sandy patches. Riders appreciate the flow, especially post the strenuous climb around Little Scraggy's back side. There's an emphasis on the delightful downhill rides, which many describe as one of their best experiences due to its pace, rhythm, and varied features.
- Extension Options: For those seeking a longer ride, several riders suggest combining the Little Scraggy loop with other trails in the Buffalo Creek network, like "Nice Kitty" or the iconic "Charlie's Cutoff".
- Feedback and Ratings: It’s worth noting that while the trail has garnered immense appreciation, some riders felt it missed the 5-star mark due to sandy stretches and a challenging, gnarly climb. However, the overall feedback underscores its potential to soon rank among the best in the Buffalo Creek area.
The Little Scraggy trail, though relatively new, is rapidly carving a niche for itself within the expansive biking landscape of Pine, Colorado. Its impressive array of features, balanced climbs and descents, and potential for extensions make it a must-ride for any intermediate cyclist looking for an unforgettable experience. As more riders tackle its tracks and as the loop around Little Scraggy Peak is completed, it's poised to elevate its status from an emerging gem to a recognized classic.