Bear Creek Delight: A Cyclist's Guide to Morrison's Pride
Situated just outside the bustling city of Denver, Morrison's Bear Creek trail offers a delightful mix of scenic beauty and thrilling rides, making it a top pick for cyclists in Colorado.
Key Trail Details:
- Distance: 12 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route type: Out & Back
- City: Morrison
- State: Colorado
Journey through Bear Creek
Starting west from the parking lot, cyclists are greeted with a wide, smooth trail alongside the serene Bear Creek. For a leisurely 1.5 miles, pedal to the Bear Creek trailhead, where the real adventure begins. Transitioning into a singletrack, anticipate an exhilarating 1.5-mile climb laden with technical sections and switchbacks. Once the pinnacle is reached, bask in the adrenaline rush from downhill slopes and swift rolling patches. The trail leads up to Parmalee Gulch Road, but don't be too quick to halt - the return promises just as much excitement.
Directions to the Start
To embark on this journey, take I-70 west from Denver until C-470. Follow C-470 east to Morrison Rd, then head west for approximately 7 miles. 'Lair O' the Bear' open space park on the south side is your gateway to the trail.
Here's what fellow cyclists had to say:
- A Winter Wonderland: Surprisingly snow-free during winter, it's a joy to ride, especially on sunlit December days. The moderate yet consistent climb is dotted with rocky patches, making it both challenging and engaging.
- Scenic Beauty: Located a stone's throw from Denver, this trail is a visual treat. With clear markers, the thrill of descent, and occasional technical zones, it's a ride to remember.
- Weather Watch: While the trail remains largely accessible, watch out for icy patches on the BCT during colder months. The beginning section, in particular, can be tricky with flowing water, slush, and ice.
- Peak Hours: Though excellent for an after-work ride, one must be wary of hikers, especially during the downhill sections. With increasing trail traffic over the weekends, an early start is advised for parking and a peaceful ride.
- Rocky Delights: While mostly smooth, certain rocky sections could require less experienced riders to dismount and walk. However, these add to the trail's charm, making it versatile for both novices and pros.
- Commendable Design: Kudos to the architects of this trail, which is not just another hiking path but a true multi-use marvel. While not overly challenging, the trail's design incorporates optional features throughout, making it captivating.
Bear Creek Trail in Morrison, Colorado stands out not just for its natural beauty but also for the balanced mix of calmness and thrill it offers to every cyclist. With well-thought-out design elements and a truly immersive experience, this trail is a must-ride for every biking enthusiast.