Wiggletown Trails: A Nostalgic Ride with Hidden Treasures
In the heart of Plattsburgh, New York lies a treasure often spoken about with a mix of nostalgia and thrill: The Wiggletown Trails. Spanning a decent 10 miles, this intermediate loop trail offers a mix of rolling tracks with unexpected steep descents and climbs.
Embarking from behind the SUNY Plattsburgh fieldhouse, riders are immediately greeted with the trail's signature rolling landscape. Short, unexpected steep inclines and declines provide intermediate riders with just the right amount of challenge. The sandy stretches near Wiggletown are reminiscent of the trail's past, with some cyclists remembering their rides from as far back as the 90s. There are murmurs about the increased number of stunts in the area, promising thrill-seekers a bit more action.
Navigating the Trail
- Starting Point: The primary entry is behind the SUNY Plattsburgh fieldhouse, but there are multiple access points.
- Extended Route: For those craving a longer ride, begin at the marina. The bike path on Pine St leads behind the campus to Angel Dr. Turn left to an athletic field to reach the trail by the river. Further markers and turns lead riders through Adirondack lane, Imperial dam, Military Turnpike, and back to the starting point, adding up to a rewarding 12-mile loop.
- Trail Maintenance: Despite its charms, there are concerns about the maintenance of the trail system. Some sections are overgrown, while others lack clear markings.
- Diverse Experiences: Reach out to local riders. Some found singletrack offshoots from the main trail that offered heart-pounding rides with dramatic drop-offs. Others spoke of serene spots along the Saranac River, suggesting the trail has moments of calm amidst the thrill.
- ATV Impact: The trail has seen an increase in ATV activity. Parts of it, especially beyond Reeves LN, have been affected, with some sections bearing significant wear. However, there are still intact stretches offering technical, fun rides.
- Historic Touch: Anecdotal tales hint at the trail's origin, with beer cans used as markers in the 70s. A nod to its past adds a layer of charm for riders familiar with its history.
Wiggletown Trails, despite its imperfections, is a mosaic of memories, challenges, and scenic beauty. While some riders pine for its glory days and feel the sting of neglect, others find hidden gems worth exploring. This loop trail, with its diverse experiences and history, deserves a spot on the list of trails to try in Plattsburgh, New York.