Amasa Back Area: A Cycling Jewel in MoabUtah's Moab region is renowned for its rugged beauty and challenging bike trails, but the Amasa Back Area, thanks to the commendable efforts by Moab Trail Mix, has risen to a new pedestal, evolving from a mere 4x4 road to an interconnected web of thrilling cycling routes.
- Distance: 20 mi
- Level: Difficult
- Route Type: Network
- City: Moab
- State: Utah
Trail System Overview
The transformation of the Amasa Back Area into a cohesive trail system cannot be appreciated without acknowledging the integral trails like Hymasa and the exclusive Captain Ahab bike-only singletrack. Offering diverse terrains, these trails promise a cocktail of technical challenges and adrenaline-fueled adventures.
The stepping stone to this biking paradise:
- Start off at Kane Creek Road.
- Diversity at its Peak: From punchy climbs on slick rock with numerous line choices to sections marked with blue paint indicating a plethora of options, this trail keeps you on your toes.
- Descend into Nirvana: The downhill segments, especially after the viewpoint on Upper Ahab, are nothing short of exhilarating. They blend skill, speed, and surreal views, culminating in an unmatched biking ecstasy. Yet, caution is advised; while most segments are rollable, there are drops that demand a black diamond skillset.
- Climbing Hymasa: Hymasa, though technically challenging, rewards the rider with multifaceted canyon edges that lead towards Ahab, making the ascent worth every pedal.
- Captain Ahab's Glory: Recognized as a trail-building masterpiece, Captain Ahab remains the gem of this network. It is fiercely technical with a blend of rock steps, steep inclines, gardens, and drops. It beckons expert riders into a world of rugged challenges and unmatched fun.
- Safety First: Given its technical nature and exposed sections, it's essential to stay prepared. Carry ample water, sunscreen, and ensure your bike is in top shape. The trail can be demanding, especially under the scorching desert sun.
- Trail Markers: Post creek-crossing, attention to trail markers is crucial. Many riders have inadvertently ventured onto a treacherous jeep trail instead of the actual path, which lies just above on the cliff.
- Technical Mastery: From rock gardens to short steep pinches and rock drops, the trail consistently tests your skills. As one rider puts it, "Technical mountain biking at its finest."
- Kudos to Trail Makers: The meticulous planning and execution in trail making deserve applause. From rock-dirt combinations to precise trail markers, it's a well-thought-out marvel.
The Amasa Back Area, with its rugged beauty and meticulously laid-out trails, is an embodiment of what Moab offers best. From the technical climb of Hymasa to the challenges of Captain Ahab, it's a thrilling escapade awaiting every avid cyclist. If Moab's on your biking list, this trail network is a must-experience!