Athens Trail Creek Park Mountain Bike Trail Review
Nestled within the vibrant city of Athens, Georgia, the Trail Creek Park offers the only legal mountain biking experience on public property in the city. While its size limits the trail's expansiveness, the terrain promises a riveting experience for every rider.
- Distance: 6 miles
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Network
- City: Athens
- State: Georgia
- Location: 200 Trail Creek Street, Athens, GA
The Trail Experience
While it currently offers a 1.5-mile loop, Trail Creek Park is continually evolving. Master plans highlight the potential link to the Oconee River Greenway, and an expansion is on the horizon. For now, riders are recommended to take multiple laps or incorporate it into a larger "urban dirt ride", connecting to the bootleg trails scattered around.
Terrain and Difficulty
Mostly shaded, the trail is characterized by a series of bumps, dips, and turns. Riders have pointed out its beginner-friendly nature, but some areas cater to more experienced riders, ensuring there's something for everyone. The "Widespread" section is notably intense, while the green, blue, and orange trails cater to those just starting out.
What Riders Are Saying
- Trail Creek Park boasts trails for all, from beginners to advanced riders. There are marked trails ensuring you choose what best matches your skill.
- Watch out for the two-way traffic. With a few exceptions for specific downhill areas, riders need to be alert for oncoming traffic.
- Some riders pointed out the noise from the nearby freeway. However, its urban location does mean some ambient noise is to be expected.
- Despite its modest length, the trail's features - including rocks, rollers, and jumps - offer ample excitement. "Drive-By Truckers", best done counter-clockwise, is a favorite among many.
- Trail conditions vary, but the red Georgia clay is especially enjoyable when dry. However, it takes a little longer to dry out after rains.
Tips Before You Go
- Getting There: From downtown Athens, head north on North Ave. Turn right on Strickland St which later becomes First Street. Finally, make a left on Trail Creek Street to enter the park.
- Safety First: Some sections are narrow, requiring one rider to dismount for another to pass. Stay alert and avoid distractions.
- Stay Informed: Check for maps and directions. Several riders recommended the map posted at the trailhead to keep track of one-way sections and difficulty levels.
- Nature Alert: Be cautious of the abundant poison ivy alongside some parts of the trail.
- After the Ride: If visiting during summer, consider checking out the splash pad located at the park's center.
In summary, Trail Creek Park offers an oasis for mountain biking enthusiasts right in the heart of Athens. While some see room for improvement, many laud its variety and the commitment of local volunteers enhancing the trail system. Always remember to ride safely and respect other trail users. Enjoy the ride!