Reno, Nevada, never ceases to captivate with its array of biking trails, but the Steamboat Ditch Trail stands out as a delightful experience for riders seeking a tranquil ride amidst nature's splendor. With gentle inclines and a serene waterway, this trail promises a refreshing escape without the intensity of steep mountain routes.
- Distance: 14 miles
- Level: Very Easy
- Route Type: Out & Back
- Location: Reno, Nevada
Commencing with a gentle ascent alongside the Steamboat ditch, the trail spans a straight 3-mile stretch before reaching a significant intersection. Riders are advised to keep the ditch on their left until reaching the celebrated "Hole in the Wall". The ditch remains filled with water from May until the late fall, creating a picturesque sight. An added perk? The trail welcomes furry friends, making it a hit for dog-owners.
Drawing from numerous riders' accounts:
- The trail remains in commendable condition, notably devoid of the deep dust typical of Tahoe trails. It boasts a mostly flat grade, but the Reno-specific rocky terrains might challenge beginners, especially those accustomed to smoother trails. For the adventurous, post the 'Hole in the Ground', the track divides, introducing steeper climbs and descents.
- Its simplicity makes it an ideal choice for a child's maiden ride. The trail leans more towards a narrow fire road rather than a typical single track, though there are single-track diversions at various points. These might involve a climb back up to the main path.
- While the trail offers a calm and scenic experience, riders should exercise caution. The trail has witnessed gusty winds and occasional snake sightings, especially near the 'Hole in the Wall'.
- The scenic beauty is undisputed, but riders might occasionally face the challenge of navigating through other walkers, joggers, or canines. Despite the occasional rocky patches that can cause tire punctures, the trail remains a favorite for its mesmerizing views and non-technical nature.
- A highlight for many includes the numerous single-track routes that deviate from the main trail, offering alternatives that either loop back or descend to the Truckee River and the adjoining paved bike trail.
Arriving at the Trail
Reaching the trailhead is straightforward. From S. McCarran Blvd, head west on Mayberry Dr. Take a left onto Plateau Dr, opposite Doskstar Park, then a quick right onto Woodchuck Dr. The trailhead is conveniently located on the right, with off-street parking available.
For those seeking a peaceful, scenic, and relatively flat ride, the Steamboat Ditch Trail is a must-try. Whether introducing a young one to the joys of cycling or taking a leisurely evening ride, this trail guarantees a fulfilling experience amidst the heart of Reno's natural beauty.