Nestled in the charming town of Jackson, Wyoming, Snow King Mountain offers a comprehensive network of bike trails that beckon cyclists for an immersive experience. While the chairlift operates throughout the year, mountain bikes are not permitted in the summer. However, the trails are nothing short of an adventurer's paradise.
The Trail Network
- Snow King Tail: A 4WD road that zig-zags up to the chairlift, often considered 'sadistic' due to its steep ascent.
- Josie's Ridge Trail: Starts from the top of the chairlift, a 2.4-mile descent back to town.
- Ferrins Trail: The optimal route to ascend the mountain, covering 1,400 feet in a challenging 3-mile stretch.
- Putt-putt Trail: A Grade 3, 4-mile trail that starts at the Nelson Drive trailhead.
- Hagen Trail: A 3-mile, technical Grade 4 trail starting at Cache Creek trailhead.
- Skyline Trail: A Grade 4 trail that starts from the saddle and descends into Game Creek.
- Sink or Swim: A Grade 3 trail that links downtown Jackson to the Cache Creek trailhead.
The Premium Experience
Combine Ferrins, West Game Creek, Game Creek, Cache Creek, and Hagen for a 20-mile loop offering an authentic back-country experience.
- Getting There: Multiple trailheads are available, with Cache Creek Trailhead being the most popular.
- Signage: Look for signposts along the routes; some even feature network maps.
- Facilities: A toilet is available at the Cache Creek Trailhead.
The Ferrins Factor
Most cyclists highly recommend Ferrins for its challenging yet rewarding path. The trail is bi-directional, so keep an eye out for fellow cyclists.
This area is grizzly country; carry bear spray as a precautionary measure.
The Best Loop
Ferrins-Game-Cache Loop is arguably the most popular loop on Snow King Mountain. The course provides a sense of both exhilaration and achievement.
Timing is Key
The area is busiest before 9 am. To avoid the crowd, consider starting your adventure after this time.
What Sets It Apart?
- Panoramic Views: The summit provides jaw-dropping views across the town, the Elk Refuge, and the Grand Tetons.
- Versatility: From steep climbs to thrilling descents, there's something for every type of rider.
- Shared Space: The trails are shared with hikers, runners, and dog-walkers, making for a communal outdoor experience.
With a distance of 50 miles and an intermediate level grading, Snow King Mountain offers cyclists a well-rounded experience. With stunning vistas and varying terrain, you're guaranteed to end your ride with a heightened sense of accomplishment. If you find yourself in Jackson, Wyoming, don't miss out on these exceptional trails.