Rock Bridge Memorial State Park, located in Columbia, Missouri, offers a sprawling network of bike trails extending over 15 miles. Known for its variety in trail difficulty, the park beckons both novice and seasoned bikers alike.
To reach the trailhead:
- From I-70: Take 163 (Providence) south. Follow signs to Rock Bridge Memorial State Park and proceed to Devil's Icebox.
- Address: 5901 South Hwy. 163 Columbia, MO 65203.
Features & Terrain
- Variety from beginner to intermediate
- Lots of roots and rocks
- Numerous hills
- Non-directional trails
- Occasional creek crossings
- Erosion issues in some sections
Popular Loops and Sections
Beginners usually find the Devil's Icebox entrance more forgiving, while advanced riders may prefer starting at the upper entrance near the playground. Popular trails include Deer Run, Spring Brook, and Sinkhole. Multiple ways exist to ride the network, including combining different loops like Deer Run and Springbok for a customized experience.
The trail offers technical accents and descents but is not overwhelmingly challenging. There are some fun downhill sections, especially near the creek. However, riders should watch for loose rocks and the dense foliage that may obscure vision during summer or late spring.
Rider Experience and Advice
- Variety: Offers something for everyone from beginners to intermediate riders.
- Technical Terrain: Enough roots, rocks, and hills to keep things interesting.
- Scenic Beauty: Riding beside a creek and through various loops adds a dash of natural elegance.
- Navigation: The trails can be confusing to navigate. Many find the trail maps outdated.
- Maintenance: Some areas show signs of erosion and are in need of repair.
- Check trail conditions by calling the Trails Condition Hotline at (573) 442-2249. Trails close when wet.
- Always carry extra water and a flat repair kit.
- For a more enjoyable ride, familiarize yourself with the park's layout to better combine different loops and optimize your ride.
The Rock Bridge Memorial State Park is a gem in Columbia, offering a diverse range of trails. Although some improvements could make the experience flawless, it remains an unmissable biking destination. Whether you are local or passing through Missouri, these trails promise an adrenaline-pumping experience fused with scenic tranquility.
- Distance: 15 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Network
- Overall Rating: 4/5
- Ethical Score: Could improve on maintenance and trail etiquette.
So, gear up, and may your ride be as smooth as your bike's gears!