If you're on the hunt for a mountain biking trail in the Greensboro area that offers a balanced ride with just enough challenges to keep you engaged, then the Reedy Fork Trail may be your ideal destination. Often overshadowed by nearby routes like Wild Turkey or Blue Heron, this 3.3-mile out-and-back trail is a playground for riders who love a moderate but varied terrain.
Terrain and Ride Experience
- First Mile: The initial section of the trail is fairly smooth but filled with twisty and tight corners that add a little thrill to your ride.
- Middle Section: As you proceed, the trail starts running alongside a creek. The terrain here gets rooty, which could take away some of your speed.
- Additional Loops: The trail also features a few side trails off the main path, providing opportunities for more technical riding and decent downhill stretches.
- Elevation: Although there's little change in elevation, you'll be working to keep up the pace over numerous rooty sections.
Kudos to the NC Fat Tire Association for doing an outstanding job maintaining the trail. Recent upgrades include a new boardwalk to navigate wet areas and reinforced bridges.
Logistics: Getting There
To reach Reedy Fork Trail, take 220 N (Battleground Ave) from Greensboro. Bear right onto Old Battleground Ave, continue past Country Park, then turn right onto Lake Brandt Rd. A gravel parking lot will be on your left shortly after you pass the marina and waterworks station.
What the Cyclists Say
- Scenic: The trail offers impressive views of Reedy Creek and the lake.
- Technical Variety: While not an extreme trail by any means, it offers a fair mix of technical riding, including some short and punchy climbs.
- Night Riding: For those who love riding under the stars, this trail comes highly recommended for night adventures.
- New Upgrades: With recent trail work, including root removal and bridge reinforcements, the trail's quality has improved.
- Rooty: The rooty sections can hamper flow for some riders.
- Rock Obstacles: Some riders mentioned that large rocks placed at the beginning of the trail could be a turn-off.
- Pedestrian Traffic: A number of pedestrians use this trail, so keep an eye out.
Whether you're new to mountain biking or a seasoned pro, Reedy Fork has something for everyone. Although not as challenging as some other local trails, its moderate level of difficulty and scenic beauty make it a must-try for anyone in the Greensboro area.Remember, mountain biking is an inherently risky activity. Always ride within your limits and take appropriate precautions. Happy Riding!