The Raven Trail: Minocqua's Mountain Biking MarvelMinocqua, Wisconsin, unfurls a network of biking wonders with The Raven Trail. Renowned for its technical challenges and engaging skill course, this is an intermediate cyclist's paradise awaiting exploration.
- Distance: 5 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Network
- City: Minocqua
- State: Wisconsin
Trail Features and Insights
The Raven Trail offers:
- Diverse Terrain: Expect technical ascents and descents, tight bends, and fire road climbs.
- Skilled Area: Featuring north shore skinnies, teeter-totters, and an impressive log ride.
- Views: Portions of the trail offer panoramic vistas, notably overlooking Clear Lake.
- Route Choices: Whether in the mood for a fast bomber or a ridge ride, there are multiple paths to choose.
- Surprises: Hidden tracks lead to secret spots. Stay alert and discover them!
Getting to the Trail
- From Woodruff, head south on 47 for approximately 2.5 miles.
- Turn left onto Woodruff Rd.
- Shortly after the turn for Clear Lake Campground, the trailhead beckons.
Feedback from avid bikers sheds light on the trail's character:
- Diverse Riding Experience: Some sections are root-laden with sub-baby head size rock gardens while others are fast and flowy.
- Trail Etiquette: Most recommend following the mtb specific loop, symbolized by a knobby tire bike icon and snowshoer. Some older trail maps might be outdated, but as of 2015, DNR has updated maps at each intersection.
- Skill Areas: This zone is often highlighted for its diverse challenges suitable for all levels.
- Trail Demands: It's not just about speed. Expect tight, twisty, technical portions that demand finesse.
- LAMBO's Involvement: The local bike club, LAMBO, has played an instrumental role in developing and maintaining the trail, regularly updating single tracks and redirecting old ones.
- Trail Alternatives: While the main loop measures around 5 miles, there are various trail options catering to different skill levels.
Points of Note
- Fee: A five-dollar fee is applicable for bikers.
- Safety: While shared by both hikers and bikers, it's crucial to be vigilant and respectful to all.
- Signage: Some riders noted that the trails could benefit from clearer signage, though the situation has improved over the years.
The Raven Trail in Minocqua, Wisconsin, stands as a testament to the thrills and challenges mountain biking can offer. With its myriad features, regular upgrades by LAMBO, and the voice of the biking community singing its praises, it remains an essential trail for any biking enthusiast visiting the region.