Nestled in the outskirts of Ellijay, Georgia, this trail offers an invigorating blend of uphill and downhill terrains that will both challenge and reward the intermediate mountain biker. Stretching over a distance of approximately 4 miles each way, this "Out & Back" trail is perfect for those seeking to marry exercise with natural beauty.
How to Get There
To access the trail, head west from Ellijay on Hwy. 52. About 8 miles out, take a right onto Gates Chapel road. Continue for approximately 5.5 miles until you encounter a Y in the road. Opt for the right fork onto Wilderness Road and proceed for another mile or two. Parking is available at the junction where the Pinhoti signs point down a gravel road to the left.
- Initial Climb: The first mile or so features a steady climb along an old road grade, gradually transitioning into deep woods. The climb is strenuous but manageable for an intermediate level biker.
- Downhill Delight: As you navigate through the woods, be prepared for a steep downhill slope toward Mulberry Gap Road. This section promises a fast and fun descent that will certainly get the adrenaline pumping.
- Loop Possibilities: This trail offers an excellent opportunity to loop with Pinhoti P1 and Bear Creek, especially if you're staying at the nearby Mulberry Gap Mountain Bike Resort.
- Natural Splendor: Take some moments to pause and absorb the captivating natural scenery. The trail is well-shaded with occasional views that demand a photo or two.
- Return Challenge: The journey back is a grueling uphill climb. While challenging, the stunning woodlands surrounding you will make the effort worthwhile.
Here's a summary of cyclists' comments on the trail:
- Great as an add-on to Pinhoti P1 and Bear Creek.
- Offers a rewarding downhill experience.
- Highly recommended for those seeking a good workout, both uphill and downhill.
- The trail conditions are generally well-maintained, offering great flow especially in the downhill sections.
Additional Tips and Notes
- The trail is best ridden from north to south to capitalize on the downhill flow.
- For those inclined to tackle more miles, it's recommended to link this trail with other nearby options.
- Keep an eye on the Pinhoti trail signs for navigation. It's quite easy to follow.
Wilderness Road to Mulberry Gap is a must-try trail for intermediate cyclists. It may demand a lot from your legs and lungs, but rest assured, the scenic beauty and the downhill thrill make it well worth the effort.