A stone's throw away from the heart of Philadelphia, Pennypack Park Trails present an enticing medley of pathways, fit for both leisurely rides and adventurous explorations. With a mix of paved roads, horse trails, and single tracks, this trail network provides ample opportunities for both beginners and seasoned cyclists.
- Distance: 15 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route type: Network
- City: Philadelphia
- State: Pennsylvania
Entering from Pine Rd. Parking lot, the trail head's location is straightforward. However, delving deeper into the network, the labyrinthine nature of Pennypack unfolds:
- Variety of Paths: Paved roads for casual riders, horse trails for those looking for a rugged experience, and intertwining single tracks for the adventurous.
- Structures: Numerous bridges, both over and under, pave the way for seamless transitions between different trail sections.
- Riding Experience: Although not notably challenging, the trail promises a fun ride. With flow trails, tight twists, and the sporadic log on the path, it offers enough elements to keep the ride exciting.
Drawing from the experiences of fellow cyclists:
- Trail Maintenance: Some sections of the trail might appear unkempt with overgrowth and occasional fallen trees. Notably, remnants from horses (often termed as 'land mines') are frequent.
- Signage: A significant observation is the lack of clear trail markings. Some pathways are designated as "no bikes," but this information is often revealed only when reaching the main artery.
- Fees: A few worn-out flyers indicate a registration fee for trail usage, though this needs verification.
- Parking: While parking can be a challenge, Pine Rd. Parking Lot remains a recommended starting point.
Tips for Navigating
- Exploration: For those chasing the thrill of single tracks, head downstream from Pine Road to uncover a plethora of tracks. Lost? Just move upstream to find the way back.
- Hiker Interactions: Be courteous and vigilant, especially on single tracks frequented by hikers.
- Trail Etiquette: Respect all trail signs and avoid areas marked as off-limits to bikers.
While Pennypack Park Trails might lack the technical challenges found in other biking havens like Wissahickon, they more than compensate with the sheer joy of exploration. Whether seeking a breezy ride amidst scenic beauty or diving deep into the woods on single tracks, Pennypack stands as a delightful escape for all bike enthusiasts.