Situated in the quaint city of Monument, Colorado, lies a gem unknown to many - the Mount Herman Trails. A unique blend of meandering paths, technical climbs, and exhilarating downhills make this network an essential stop for every biking enthusiast.
Mount Herman Trails provide a variety of experiences for riders:
- Perimeter Trail: Previously known as the Helipad Trail, it's now closed by the Forest Service.
- Black Pearl: A technical marvel, offering challenges in both climbing and descending. Not the fastest, but definitely one for the adrenaline junkies.
- Granite Circle Loop: An easy loop that rewards with a delightful downhill section.
- DLS Trail: A black diamond route with challenging rocky terrain and overgrowth. Recommended for those with excellent trials skills.
- Monument Preserve Trails: This area offers diversity in its riding experience. Riders are encouraged to do their homework before venturing, as the trails are not well marked. Key trails in this area include Twisty Oaks, Mad Hatter, and the 715 Trail.
- Distance: 9 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route type: Network
For those setting out from northbound I-25:
- Take exit #161 off I-25.
- Venture west and take the second left onto Third Street.
- Follow this until it becomes Front Street.
- Turn right at the stop sign onto Second St.
- Cross the railroad tracks, and then make a left onto Mitchell St.
- Mt. Herman Rd. awaits about a half-mile on the right. Travel a mile or so, and a signed parking lot will appear on the left. This is where your adventure begins.
Trail Comments and Insights
- The trails are vast with various branches, offering an option for every rider.
- Despite its beauty and challenge, the lack of clear markings has been a pain point for many riders. First-timers are strongly encouraged to prep beforehand.
- Sand and scree provide a unique challenge, but it's part and parcel of riding in Colorado.
- Private properties scattered around the trails require attention to avoid unnecessary detours.
- Riders should be cautious, especially with limited lines of sight in certain areas.
Mount Herman Trails offer a brilliant blend of thrill and beauty, making it an irresistible attraction for bikers. Whether seeking a leisurely ride or an adrenaline-fueled descent, there's something for every biker. Despite some concerns about trail markings and co-sharing the route with hikers, with a bit of prep and caution, it promises an unforgettable experience.Remember: Always ride responsibly and respect other trail users.