Distance: 10 miLevel: IntermediateRoute type: NetworkCity: NewarkState: Delaware
In the heart of Newark, Delaware lies a hidden gem for cycling enthusiasts: the combined White Clay Creek and Middle Run trail network. Spread over miles of diverse terrains, these trails offer an exceptional ride for both seasoned mountain bikers and those looking to elevate their riding experience.
- Well-groomed Singletrack: These trails are impeccably maintained, allowing for a smooth, fast ride especially when dry. It's advisable to reconsider riding during wet conditions as the grounds can become quite slippery.
- Diverse Features: Scattered throughout the park, riders will encounter a mix of features such as the skills section, pump track, field rock garden, and log piles, providing a chance to challenge themselves and add an element of fun.
- Flowy Rides with Elevation: Cyclists are in for a treat as the trails flow seamlessly in both directions. They offer a fair bit of elevation, averaging 100' per mile ridden.
- Start at the trailhead map by heading into the woods to the right. Follow the singletrack through fields.
- Cross the bridge over Middle Run and pass a unique flattened fallen tree.
- Climb uphill, then follow the double track around the green water tower which leads to the Snow Goose trail.
- Heading down to the creek, follow the Tri Valley Trail/Lenape Trail.
- Intersecting trails will offer a choice: heading straight will lead to the White Clay Creek State Park, while turning left keeps one within Middle Run.
- Finally, rejoin the Lenape Trail, cross the Possum Hollow Road and immerse in the forested section. It's a place where cyclists can truly let go and enjoy the speed.
- Ending the route, riders will find themselves back at Middle Run.
For the adventurous, there's always the option to explore beyond the suggested route, discover new trails, and even chart one's own journey.
What Riders Say
- "Amazing, all the trails are well maintained, super fun and flow really well in both directions."
- "The White Clay/Middle Run area is impeccably maintained with different features scattered throughout."
- "Awesome track with steep uphills and technical downhills that include roots, rock parts, log jumps, bridges, and wood platforms."
Tips for the Trail
- Map It Out: It's recommended to grab a copy of the White Clay Creek map and fill in the trails at the Middle Run trailhead map.
- Safety First: The area is known for its flowy trails which can become quite fast. Consider mounting a bell for safety, especially if planning to rip through the trails.
- Weather Conditions: It's essential to note that wet conditions can make the trail extremely slick. Ensure to check weather conditions before heading out.
Accessing the trails is straightforward:
- Take Exit 1 off I-95.
- Head left on DE-896 (College Ave.) towards Newark.
- Turn right at Chestnut Hill Road intersection following the signs to DE-2 East, DE-72, and DE-4.
- Past the UD football stadium, turn left onto DE-2/DE-72.
- Continue until reaching DE-72 /Possum Park Road and make a left.
- Look for signs for the Park on the left and follow to the end for parking.
White Clay Creek and Middle Run offer an unmatched cycling experience for riders of all levels. With a mix of terrains, diverse features, and the beauty of nature, it's no wonder this network of trails in Newark, Delaware, remains a favorite among the cycling community. Whether one is in for a casual ride or an adrenaline-pumping adventure, these trails promise a memorable experience.