Candler's Mountain: A Gem for the Fearless Biker in Lynchburg
Hidden amidst Virginia's scenic backdrop, Lynchburg's Candler's Mountain offers more than just breathtaking views. With its elaborate trail network spanning a daunting 50 miles, this trail system is the very definition of a biker's paradise.
The Trail Experience
An intricate maze of paths beckons riders of all expertise, from novice to professional. Known for its all-mountain and freeride trails, the journey offers a thrilling combination of technical challenges and adrenaline-pumping descents. Here's what to expect:
- Challenging Ascents and Descents: Steep climbs leading to ridge tops followed by swift descents are a staple. The paths are dotted with berms, jumps, and expansive wooden features.
- Technical Terrains: Anticipate areas filled with sharp rocks, requiring adept braking skills, especially on the gnarly technical descent following the fire road.
- Adaptable Riding: Most of the trail features offer bypass routes, ensuring that even those without aggressive bikes can enjoy the terrain.
- Diverse Range: From the fast-paced Panama trail to the beginner-friendly Mike Donahue trail, the variety ensures that riders never tire of options. But be cautious and perhaps skip the Dam Trail; its tricky spots and abrupt end might not be for everyone.
Navigating Candler's Mountain
Although most trails are marked, a comprehensive map of the entire network is noticeably absent. This adds an element of adventure to the ride but can be daunting for first-timers. The primary parking zone is the Liberty Mountain Snowflex parking lot, located conveniently off Monogram Rd.
- "The downhills are unparalleled in the Lynchburg region. However, be prepared to exert effort on the uphills."
- "Candler's Mountain is Lynchburg's backbone for mountain biking. From beginners to experts, it caters to all."
- "While there are several entry points, Snow Plex is a popular start. Mike Donahue Trail and Trail Too Far are must-visits."
- "First-timers, be wary of the leaf cover during fall. Sliding can be an issue."
- "The trail has seen its challenges, especially with the construction of Snowplex. However, it remains an exhilarating experience."
- "Well-maintained by Liberty University, this trail system is a blessing to the biking community."
Candler's Mountain, colloquially known to locals as Candler's, stands as a beacon for biking aficionados. While the university's involvement has greatly improved the trail system's infrastructure, bikers still yearn for better trail maps.Regardless, whether one is seeking fast downhill rides, technical terrains, or picturesque views, this Lynchburg gem promises an unforgettable ride, every single time.Trail Details:
- Distance: 50 mi
- Level: Difficult
- Route type: Network
- City: Lynchburg
- State: Virginia.