The heart of Oklahoma pulses with an invigorating mountain biking trail, the Draper Trails. Set within the lively bounds of Oklahoma City, this 13-mile network-style trail offers both novices and seasoned bikers an experience to cherish.
- Distance: 13 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Network
- City: Oklahoma City
- State: Oklahoma
What to Expect
For those who prefer fast-paced, family-friendly trails, Draper Trails doesn't disappoint. Comprising various loops with distinct levels of difficulty, this network is finely balanced to accommodate both beginner riders and experts seeking a challenge. The trail boasts of smooth, well-marked paths, plenty of banked turns, and an iconic bridge passing through a tree.There’s something for everyone, from the simplicity of the Green and Blue loops to the technical aspects of the Red and Black routes. Some standout features include:
- Flowy turns and minor hops on the Green Trail.
- Yellow Trail offering a mix of steep climbs, tight trees, and fun downhill sections.
- Red Trail which levels up in technicality. Caution: It might be daunting for beginners.
- The Black Loop - strictly for experts boasting of massive jumps, pump sections, wicked berms, and a log crossing.
A few sandy patches might test riders' traction skills, but that's all part of the game here at Draper.
Multiple local riders have come forward with their insights about the Draper Trails:
- A frequently echoed sentiment is the trail's aptness for beginners. The Blue and Green loops are particularly endorsed for those starting out.
- For those seeking a technical ride, the Red loop stands out, with its challenges still manageable for intermediate riders.
- Cyclists who prefer a smooth and fast ride applaud the trail for its well-marked paths. The Plaid loop at Clear bay is a suggested detour if one is in the vicinity.
- A noteworthy point is the trail's popularity. It attracts a significant number of riders, especially on weekends. Therefore, being cautious of other trail users is advised.
- The Oklahoma Earthbike Fellowship receives accolades for its impeccable maintenance of the trails.
To dive into this biking experience:
- From I-240 on the south side of Oklahoma City, exit on Douglass Blvd heading North.
- Proceed to 74th St and turn right.
- Turn right again on Post road (south) and continue for about 1/3 mile.
- Parking can be found on the left. The trailhead is well-marked and maintained.
Draper Trails is a testament to Oklahoma City’s commitment to the biking community. Whether it's a casual ride or an adrenaline-pumping adventure one seeks, Draper has it all. Always remember to respect the trail and fellow riders. Now, gear up and enjoy the ride!