- Distance: 5 miles (Option to extend)
- Difficulty: Very Easy
- Route Type: Out & Back
- Location: Fayetteville, North Carolina
Situated across from the fish hatchery at Lake Rim Park, the trailhead is accessible via a parking lot located in the back-right corner, directly across from the boat ramp. Follow the hill up from the lake to reach this unassuming gem.
Trail Description: A Mixed Bag of Features
Known for its water crossings and versatility, this trail offers an interesting mix. On dry days, the water crossings pose little difficulty. However, expect challenges around the 2.5-3 mile mark if recent rains have occurred.
Special Highlights of the Trail:
- Water Crossings: Add an extra layer of fun or challenge, depending on weather conditions.
- Diverse Pathways: Trails that deviate towards the lake feature jumps, while paths near power lines present rock gardens.
- Community Use: Popular among hikers and runners, especially the first two miles.
User Experiences: The Good, The Bad, and The Muddy
- Quick After-Work Rides: A popular choice for locals to get in a swift ride after work hours.
- Kid-Friendly: Suitable for families, given its easy level and short distance.
- Obstructions: Recent storms have led to fallen trees blocking the path, requiring a maintenance crew for clearance.
- Trail Traffic: High footfall from hikers and runners can interrupt the cycling flow.
- Weather Dependence: Post-rain, this trail can turn into a muddy mess. Stream crossings, usually a feature, become tricky and treacherous.
Important Considerations and Cautions
- Private Land: Trail continues into a power line break and woods, which eventually turns into private property.
- Safety Alert: Reports indicate occasional gunfire for sport shooting in adjoining woods, necessitating caution.
Conclusion: A Trail for All, But With Reservations
The trail serves as a versatile outing spot for hikers, runners, and cyclists alike. Its easy level and manageable distance make it accessible for families and beginners. While the trail’s features are generally crowd-pleasers, current obstructions and the trail's status as multi-use may deter some purist riders. Nonetheless, for those seeking a quick, easy ride with a dash of challenge in wet conditions, this trail could be just the ticket.