Amidst the bustling suburbs of Naperville, Illinois, Knoch Knolls Park offers a surprisingly serene network of trails that cater to both beginners and seasoned bikers. Overlooking the picturesque DuPage River, the trail guarantees an immersive experience.
Quick Trail Specs
- Distance: 10 mi
- Level: Very Easy
- Route type: Network
- City: Naperville
- State: Illinois
Directions to the Trail
Getting there: Based on recommendations from cambr.org:
- Primary Route: Take I-55 past I-355 to Weber Road. Head north to Naperville Road and turn left. After a few miles, at Royce Road, the DuPage County Park is noticeable on the left. Park near the treeline and the trail entrance into the woods is visible shortly.
- Alternative Parking: During weekends, if the primary parking lot is occupied due to sports events, continue on to Washington Avenue. Take a left, go two blocks to Ring Road, turn left, and then take another left on Knox Knoll Dr. A mile down, the park entrance is on the left. Park and cross the bridges to reach the trailheads.
- Terrain: Predominantly smooth, with occasional rooty patches and a few log rollovers.
- Scenic Beauty: The trail gracefully winds alongside the DuPage River, offering captivating river views from atop the bluff.
- Facilities: A nature center located a minute from the trailhead offers easy access to restrooms.
- Trail Traffic: As the trail is shared with hikers, midday rides might offer fewer interruptions.
User Reviews & Recommendations
The majority of riders appreciate the trail's well-thought-out design. Notable mentions include:
- For Beginners: The trail, being predominantly smooth, is perfect for those getting acquainted with mountain biking on single tracks. Its "real single track feel" minus the challenging drops is a recurring sentiment.
- Intermediate Riders: Going at a brisk pace can turn the experience exhilarating for the seasoned bikers.
- Trail Maintenance: Post-rain rides might involve encountering a few muddy patches. A wait of a couple of days post rainfall is advisable for a dry track experience.
- Features: Though the trail misses out on major challenging features, it compensates with its scenic beauty, especially the parts that run alongside the river. The "downhill ridge with water to your right and uphill treeline to your left" is a highlighted spot.
- Safety: Owing to its shared nature, a watchful eye for hikers is advised to ensure safety.
Knoch Knolls Park's trails, while labeled 'very easy', do provide the essence of a genuine single track experience. It's a go-to spot for local residents craving a blend of nature and a good ride. With its lush surroundings and well-maintained trails, it stands as a testament to Naperville's commitment to recreational activities. Whether a novice or an expert, this trail ensures an enriching biking experience.