Mitchell's Hidden Gem: The Multi-Directional Bike LoopVenture just beyond the cityscape of Mitchell, South Dakota, and you'll stumble upon a biking haven that perfectly encapsulates the essence of a fun, easy-going ride.
- Distance: 4 mi
- Level: Very Easy
- Route Type: Loop
- City: Mitchell
- State: South Dakota
The path serves as a multi-directional delight, well-trodden and clearly marked, promising a seamless ride for both novices and seasoned bikers alike. The trail boasts a unique blend:
- Tight technical sections that challenge dexterity
- Fast, fluid stretches, ideal for a breezy ride
For those eager to explore:
- Proceed North on Main Street and make a left turn onto 23rd Ave (also known as cemetery road).
- Next, take the very first right onto Indian Village Road. A mere block northwards reveals the park on the right.
- Look to the NW of the parking area to find the trail's entrance, distinctly marked by a large rock.
- Extensive Loop: Not merely confined to the track, adventurous souls can venture further, encircling most of Lake Mitchell. By integrating both upper and lower trails, one can extend their ride to a wholesome 20 miles. A small road section does bridge certain trails, but it's well worth the ride.
- Accessibility: Perfectly situated off I-90, this trail stands as a convenient retreat. Especially noteworthy is the trailhead near the Prehistoric Indian Village at Kiwanis Park, the easiest to locate.
- Universal Appeal: The trail caters to a wide range of skill levels. Beginners will find it particularly inviting, while even intermediate riders can relish its pace and flow. For those seeking an adrenaline rush from highly technical courses, this might not top the list, but its well-maintained structure promises a good time.
- Family-friendly: An ideal spot for family outings. Even younger riders can navigate the path effortlessly without feeling outpaced. After a ride, consider a detour to the nearby Pump Track.
- Praise for Maintenance: A big thumbs-up goes to the diligent organizers who keep this trail in pristine condition, ensuring a smooth ride each time.
- Local Support: Newcomers or those seeking more information can pop into Ron's Bike Shop. The staff is well-acquainted with the trail and always eager to assist.
The loop near Mitchell isn't just a path; it's a testament to how a well-maintained trail can transform a regular ride into an extraordinary experience. Whether you're a local or just passing by, this track beckons with the promise of a delightful cycling journey.