Review: Fort Ord Trails, Monterey, California
Nestled within the scenic expanses of Monterey, California, the Fort Ord Trails offer a memorable biking experience for enthusiasts. Spanning an impressive 86 miles, the trail system, famed for the Sea Otter Classic race loop, balances serene views with challenging terrains, catering to both novice riders and seasoned pros.
- Terrain: Predominantly a mix of singletrack and forest roads, Fort Ord presents a varied landscape. The singletrack offers a combination of sandy sections when cruising through the valley and engaging wooded areas with thrilling downhill twists. It's noteworthy that despite its fun factor, the trail isn't particularly challenging, staying free of technical obstacles like roots and rocks.
- Technicality: Awarded a technicality score of 5, this primarily pertains to the few short steep uphill stretches. Yet, the entire circuit guarantees a wholesome workout with its series of ascents and descents.
- Views: Bikers are rewarded with panoramic views, particularly from the fire roads. The backdrop of dense trees, high meadows, and open expanses enhances the overall riding experience.
To reach Fort Ord Trails:
- Start on the 101 highway, taking the Monterey Peninsula exit.
- Transition onto California Hwy 68.
- Trail access is available via Fort Ord or Laguna Seca off Hwy 68.
Feedback from various trail users offers a deeper dive into what one can expect:
- The climbs can be very steep, demanding sturdy tires due to the prevalent gravel roads.
- Fort Ord's single tracks are among the best, particularly the one located behind Laguna Seca.
- The trail system is expansive, permitting 4-hour rides without repetition.
- Trails like the Goat Trail are renowned for their speed and thrill.
- Bikers who prefer technical rides might find adjacent Toro Park more challenging.
- Adequate maps are essential. A useful trail map can be sourced here.
- The trails are suitable for both hardtails and dual suspension bikes.
- Novices are advised to find experienced riders to guide them through the network for the best experience.
- Several riders commend the flowy singletrack, advising caution on sandy sections.
- Some have noted that certain trail sections were more exciting in the past, but rerouting has made them less challenging.
- The general consensus indicates that the Fort Ord Trails offer a fantastic mix of speed, scenery, and fun.
For anyone visiting Monterey, California, the Fort Ord Trails are a must-visit. With an intermediate level rating and a vast network of trails, it promises a bike adventure that caters to diverse preferences.Distance: 86 mi
Route Type: Network