- Distance: Over 25 miles of trails
- Level: Very Difficult
- Route Type: Network
- Location: Crested Butte, Colorado
- Ticket Price: $48 for an all-day pass, $8 after 4pm on Wednesdays
Getting to Evolution Bike Park
From the heart of Crested Butte, a mere 2-mile drive up Highway 135 will land you in Mount Crested Butte. Once there, ample signage directs you to the Crested Butte Mountain Resort, where day parking is readily available.
An Ever-Evolving Trail Network
Constructed in 2008, Evolution Bike Park is relatively new but has been under constant improvement. It already boasts over 25 miles of diverse trails. Expect this section to go obsolete soon—in the best way—as new trails are regularly added.
The Trail Range: Beginner to Expert
- Six dedicated downhill trails: These span from beginner (green circle) to expert (double black diamond).
- Multi-use trails: Available for biking, hiking, and horseback riding, these are generally more in line with cross-country riding.
- Skills Zone and Obstacle Areas: Perfect for honing those technical skills.
What the Riders Say
- "Absolutely insane trail, bring your brown pants!"
- "Fun and beautiful. Great way to get back into town from the Resort."
- "Expensive, but offers an $8 ticket after 4 pm on Wednesdays, which is a good value."
- "Some trails lack flair and could use maintenance."
- "Fantastic, feature-laden downhill trail."
- Best Downhill Trail: Avery is a local favorite, featuring handmade rock gardens, berms, and big jumps.
- Trail for Jumping: Unless you're an expert, don't expect much air; the park caters mostly to ground-level excitement.
- Crowd Control: Some trails can get congested where they intersect, so be cautious.
While Evolution Bike Park may not be the most cost-effective biking destination, its range of trails offers something for everyone. Those who prefer downhill adrenaline rushes have six dedicated trails to choose from, while cross-country enthusiasts and multi-use trail lovers have a wealth of options as well. Although some riders feel the park lacks a certain flair and could benefit from maintenance, most agree it's a must-visit for any biking enthusiast in the Crested Butte area. Overall, Evolution Bike Park delivers a fun, albeit sometimes pricey, riding experience for all skill levels.