DuPont State Forest: A Mountain Biker's Paradise
Located near Brevard, North Carolina, DuPont State Forest offers a vast network of approximately 80 miles of singletrack and doubletrack trails. The area is a cornucopia of stunning scenery, diverse terrains, and high-level thrills for mountain bikers of the intermediate level. DuPont presents a buffet of everything a cyclist could wish for—waterfalls, challenging climbs, steep slickrock, and fast, flowy dirt descents.
The Trail Experience
DuPont State Forest has several exciting routes to choose from, but a standout loop begins at the yellow gate marked Corn Mill Shoals Rd. From there:
- Climb steeply and reach the slickrock openings
- Follow the painted arrows to summit the mountain
- Descend and turn right onto a dirt road leading to Bridal Veil Trail
- Finally, loop back to Corn Mill Shoals Rd
This loop is approximately 7-8 miles, offering a rich blend of terrains, from slickrock akin to Moab's famous trails, to muddy paths that come alive after the rain.
- Slickrock Glory: Trails like Big Rock, Burnt Mountain, and Cedar Rock offer East Coast slickrock that's a joy to ride on.
- Ridgeline Trail (#65): Known for its fast, flowy nature.
- Diverse Topography: From steep climbs to rapid descents, the trails offer a varied experience that tests a range of cycling skills.
- Natural Beauty: Lush forests, waterfalls, and creeks along the way make for a visually rewarding experience.
What Cyclists Say
- Flowy and Fast: If you're seeking flow, DuPont is your place.
- Varied Experience: Riders appreciate the variety in terrains, from tech trails to gravel.
- Crowds: The trails can get crowded, so early morning rides are recommended.
- Weather Conditions: Trails tend to get muddy after rainfall, so prepare for a more challenging ride during wet seasons.
How to Get There
From I-26 South, take exit 9 and head towards Asheville Airport and Brevard. Follow NC 280, which later turns into US 276, for about 24 miles, and then take a left onto Cascade Lake Road. After approximately 2 miles, you'll find the parking area on your left.
- Distance: 80 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Network
DuPont State Forest offers a mountain biking experience that's both thrilling and visually stunning. Whether you're out to conquer the slickrock or to revel in the forest's natural beauty, DuPont has something for everyone.