Dark Hollow Trails: Martinsville's Budding Biking Network
Overview: Embracing the Natural Heritage
Nestled amidst the natural beauty of Martinsville, Virginia, the Dark Hollow Trails stand as a testament to community collaboration. What once was a modest network of walking trails is now blossoming into a sought-after biking destination, all thanks to a local landowner's vision and the dedication of enthusiastic volunteers.
Trail Features & Experience
The Dark Hollow Trails boast of:
- A gentle yet fun 5.8-mile ride, perfect for those seeking a non-technical biking experience.
- Newly constructed berms that add a zing to the ride.
- A sprinkle of small jumps and a wooden drop, with promises of more adventurous elements to come.
- Smooth, flowing single tracks, with plans to introduce a downhill section in the near future.
- Continuous efforts by the community, gathering every third Saturday to further enhance the trail. The trail-building machine and the numerous hands-on-deck testify to their commitment.
Navigating to Dark Hollow
To embark on this biking journey:
- From Martinsville: Start on US 58 East and proceed for roughly 2 miles. Make a right turn at the light onto Mt Olivet Rd. Within 0.2 miles, take another right onto Stonewall Jackson Trail. After a 0.4-mile drive, be on the lookout for the "Children at Play" sign, with the trailhead situated approximately 30 feet beyond.
- From Danville, VA: Head onto US 58 West and continue for 24.3 miles. Turn left at the light onto Mt Olivet Rd. After 0.2 miles, make a right onto Stonewall Jackson Trail. Drive for another 0.4 miles, and just past the "Children at Play" sign, the trailhead beckons.
Note: The iconic "Children at Play" sign is no longer present, so riders should be attentive to the opening on the right, leading into the woods.
Cyclist Chronicles & Endorsements
Here's what some riders had to say:
- A perfect terrain for beginners aiming to get a hang of mountain biking.
- Stellar flow with clear markings, ensuring a seamless ride.
- Gratitude pouring in for the Martinsville Cycling Club and the diligent volunteers for their relentless efforts.
- Riders are advised to be observant while locating the trailhead, given the absence of the earlier signpost.
Trail Specifications Snapshot
- Distance: 5.8 mi
- Difficulty Level: Very Easy
- Route Type: Network
- Location: Martinsville, Virginia
The Dark Hollow Trails, with their evolving features and evident community involvement, are quickly becoming Martinsville's pride. For riders, it's not just about the ride, but also the story behind the trail, making every pedal worthwhile.