City: RestonState: VirginiaDistance: 4 miLevel: Very EasyRoute Type: Out & Back
Situated in the bustling heart of Reston, the Colvin Run Trail offers an unexpected treat for cyclists of all experience levels. It encompasses a stretch of gentle singletrack that can be either a short, relaxed four-mile out-and-back jaunt or an extended journey linking to the Difficult Run Trail, leading to the scenic Potomac River in Great Falls Park. Moreover, enthusiasts seeking a longer route have the option of forming a ten-mile loop by incorporating portions of Difficult Run and the W&OD trail.
What to Expect:
- Trail Terrain: Predominantly wide singletrack with the occasional challenging root or rock sections.
- Scenery: Although set amidst the urban backdrop of Reston, riders can still enjoy the illusion of wilderness within the trail's secluded pockets.
- Connectivity: Easily link up with Lake Fairfax, Difficult Run, and the W&OD trail for longer rides.
- Trail Traffic: Expect a mix of fellow cyclists, joggers, and dog-walkers. Being a popular spot, especially during weekends, early morning or late evening rides may provide a more serene experience.
- Current Conditions: Recent thunderstorms have led to some fallen trees, water ruts, and increased root exposure. The occasional mud patch might be encountered, but it doesn’t drastically affect the overall ride quality.
- Colvin Run offers a balanced experience, proving both enjoyable for beginners and providing challenges for intermediates, especially when exploring the numerous side trails.
- A consistent riding community gathers at the trailhead near the skating rink, making it an excellent spot for networking or finding riding buddies.
- Seasonal variations, like winter's snow and ice, can make the trail more challenging and offer a different riding experience.
- Some riders recommend avoiding the loop and suggest an out-and-back route for a more engaging and challenging ride.
Starting point is conveniently located at the Skate Nation parking lot, positioned off of Michael Faraday Court in Reston. From the Dulles Toll Road, take the exit for Whiele Avenue. Head north on Whiele, turn right onto Sunset Hills Road, and then take the first left onto Michael Faraday Court. The trailhead awaits at the end of this street.
Whether you're new to mountain biking or a seasoned pro, the Colvin Run Trail has something to offer. Its accessibility, combined with its unexpected tranquility and options for extended routes, makes it a favored choice for many in the Reston area. But as with any trail, always be respectful of other users and enjoy the ride!