- Distance: 3 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Network
- Location: Dahlonega, Georgia
The Ride: Thrilling Descent Meets Technical Challenge
Named after the area itself, Bull Mountain Trail offers an exhilarating 2.7-mile descent, luring riders into a natural rollercoaster of twists, turns, and drops. It's a ride that's garnered a reputation for being one of Georgia's best descents. Yet, be prepared; the trail can be rutted and technically demanding. An excellent finisher to the IMBA Epic Bull Mountain loop, the trail is particularly recommended for descending.
Getting There: A Bit of a Puzzle, But Worth It
- From Atlanta: Take GA 400 North towards Dahlonega. This becomes US 19, which you'll follow to Dahlonega. Once there, take GA 52 West and turn right onto Nimblewill Church Rd at the half-broken "Grizzle's store" sign. Follow directions to Jake Mountain trailhead, which is just before Nimblewill Baptist Church. Primitive camping is also available.
- Alternate Route: Turn right on FS 28 at Nimblewill Baptist Church. Go 0.4 miles, then make a left onto FS 83. The trailhead is 1.8 miles ahead, known to locals as Bull Mountain.
The Experience: Hold On to Your Handlebars!
- Variability: The trail is versatile. For a strenuous experience, tackle it from bottom to top. Otherwise, enjoy the speedy descent.
- Creek Crossings and Exposed Roots: Look out for tricky sections featuring exposed roots and creek crossings.
- Unmatched Speed: Prepare for sections where you'll hit thrilling speeds; you'll need to be comfortable with some risk.
- Beautiful but Rough: Some areas frequented by horses can be muddy and present challenges such as exposed roots.
Tips and Recommendations: Make the Most of Your Ride
- Route Combinations: Consider combining Bull Mountain with Bare Hare and Bull Mountain Cutoff for an extended loop that delivers both climbs and descents.
- Shortcuts: To abbreviate the full loop, use the Whoop-De-Do trail as a shortcut.
- Latest Updates: Keep an eye out for the newest maps from the Forest Service website. Current trail work by SORBA ensures regular updates.
Final Verdict: An Essential Northern Georgia Trail
- A ride that can be enjoyed in both ascending and descending directions, with different experiences to offer.
- A must-ride for fans of technical trails and thrilling descents.
- Despite some rough patches, it remains a classic that should not be missed by any intermediate-level mountain biker.
Bull Mountain Trail combines speed, technical features, and natural beauty into an unforgettable biking experience. For those willing to tackle its challenges, it promises an adrenaline rush unlike any other in the Dahlonega region.