Bruno's Run is a mesmerizing bike trail located in the heart of Munising, Michigan. Nestled within the Pictured Rock National Lakeshore area, it's an enthralling mix of scenic beauty and cycling challenges. A relatively easy to moderate trail, it covers a distance of 10 miles and is designed in a loop formation.
- Terrain: The start, especially the quarter mile post the trail head parking, is notorious for its roots and rocks as it takes you beside a tranquil lake. But as you move past this initial challenging section, the trail unveils a smoother journey through Northern Michigan's wilderness.
- Scenery: Riding this trail in the fall is an absolute treat for the senses. The changing foliage against the backdrop of twelve inland lakes and two river crossings promises some of the best forest views. The pristine woods and untouched beauty of the lakes and rivers along the way further enhance the trail's appeal.
- Technical Aspects: While the trail boasts of its smoothness, some parts can get tricky, especially with the combination of sand and roots. These segments, while challenging, make the climbs entertaining. A few areas show signs of erosion, indicative of the trail's age, but overall, the route remains in commendable condition.
- Trail Markings: The blue diamonds scattered throughout the trail act as trusty guides. Especially near the campground, adhering to these markers ensures a seamless riding experience.
Accessibility & Amenities
Heading south out of Munising, make your way to Wetmore. Continue south on FH13 for approximately 11 miles. Those looking for camping options will find plenty in the vicinity. Pete's Lake Campground is a favorite among many, thanks to the direct trail access it provides. Particularly, sights 7A and 8A, which are walk-in rustic sites, offer mesmerizing lakeside views.
Many cyclists who have ridden this trail laud it for its seamless blend of action and picturesque views. While it's often classified as an intermediate trail, there's consensus on the fun, flowy nature of the route. It strikes a balance, offering a change of pace from more technical trails in the UP area.However, potential riders should note:
- The initial section, brimming with roots, is a tad challenging.
- The trail might feel longer than the stated 9 miles, with some measuring it closer to 11.5 miles.
- Although marked 'Very Easy', beginners might find certain segments, especially those with exposed roots, a bit demanding.
Bruno's Run bike trail offers a unique experience, blending fun rides with breathtaking Northern Michigan scenery. Whether a novice seeking fast rides or someone looking for a mix of challenges and beauty, this trail promises to be a rewarding endeavor.