Blue Mountain Recreational Area: Missoula's Melting Pot of ActivitiesNestled near the picturesque city of Missoula, Montana, the Blue Mountain Recreational Area emerges as a vibrant tapestry of trails tailored for both beginners and more experienced cyclists.
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Network
- City: Missoula
- State: Montana
Blue Mountain stands out for:
- Diverse Landscape: While sections of it are perfect for newcomers, featuring non-threatening terrains and snippets of alluring singletracks, these tend to be brief.
- Busyness: With its ease of access, it often buzzes with activity, attracting hikers, dog walkers, and equestrians alike. This makes it crucial to be mindful of shared spaces.
- Private Property Concerns: While the quest for adventurous routes is tempting, taking uncharted paths might lead to private properties, warranting caution.
Navigating To Blue Mountain
- Embark by heading south of Missoula on Brooks (also known as hwy 93).
- After a 1.2 mi journey post the Bitterroot River, make a right onto Blue Mountain Road.
- As the road arches rightward, maintain a left trajectory leading straight to the trailhead.
Drawing insights from fellow riders:
- Recovery-Friendly: For those recuperating from injuries or looking for more relaxed trails, this area offers a safe haven, with ample single tracks and less foot traffic compared to locations like Rattlesnake.
- Multifaceted Mountain: Blue Mountain serves an array of outdoor enthusiasts, from mountain bikers and equestrians to frisbee golf enthusiasts and dirtbike riders. The extensive trail system ensures each group finds its own niche without encroaching upon another's experience.
- Trail Complexity: The base trails are well-suited for beginners. However, ascending reveals trails demanding more technical prowess — perfect for full suspension bikes equipped with disc brakes given the steeper, rockier terrains.
- Trail Marking: Clearly marked and numbered routes paired with trail maps at the trailhead facilitate easy navigation.
- Lookout Tower: Summer ventures to the lookout tower atop the mountain, while still unexplored by many, promise captivating views.
- Highlight Routes: Trail 6.03, in particular, has garnered favorable nods from many a rider.
For those in and around Missoula, the Blue Mountain Recreational Area stands as a testament to Montana's diverse topography and the potential for boundless outdoor recreation. Whether it's the thrill of a challenging climb or a serene trek amidst nature, this trail network beckons with an unmatched allure.