In the heart of Oneida, Tennessee, lies the Big South Fork National Recreation Area, a sanctuary of extensive woods, creeks, and diverse terrains, offering a perfect blend of technical challenges and scenic splendors for bikers.
- Distance: 10 miles
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Network
- City: Oneida
- State: Tennessee
- Varied terrains from single track to dirt/gravel roads and short paved stretches.
- An assortment of challenges, from steep woods trails to more moderate paths.
- Natural wonders: pristine woods, streams, rocks, and muddy areas.
- Technical areas intermingled with relaxing stretches.
- Breathtaking scenery with picturesque overlooks, rock houses, old homesteads, and captivating single tracks above and below bluffs.
From I-75 near the Tn/Ky line, take exit 141 to Tn Hwy 63 West. Continue to US 27 north leading to Oneida, then take 297 west to the Big South Fork park. Clear signage will guide visitors to the Bandy Creek visitors center, where detailed instructions and maps are available.
What Cyclists Are Saying
- A must-ride trail, offering superb views and outstanding maintenance.
- This destination has some of the most stunning sceneries in the south.
- Trails are well-marked, ensuring riders don't get lost in the expansive network.
- While the views are extraordinary, cyclists should heed signs advising them to dismount and walk their bikes, especially near the overlooks.
- The sandy stone trail composition ensures that rain hardly affects the conditions.
- There's a unanimous appreciation for the vistas on the Grand Gap and John Muir trails. Both are excellent spots to rest and soak in the surroundings.
- The Grand Gap stands out for its fast-paced, flowy design. It skirts around 250 ft overlooks, making it a thrill for the adventure-seeker, but riders are urged to exercise caution.
- With the numerous trails available, spending a night is recommended, ensuring bikers get to experience all the trails on offer.
- The trails are not just for seasoned bikers. There are beginner-friendly routes ensuring everyone has a good time.
- Gratitude is extended to the rangers and the Big South Fork Bike Club for their efforts in ensuring the trails remain accessible and well-maintained.
Tips for the Ride
- Make sure to stop at the ranger station and express thanks for the trail access.
- Stay updated on trail statuses and any possible alerts or closures.
- While the trails can be challenging, the effort is rewarded with unparalleled scenic views and an adrenaline rush.
- Always prioritize safety, especially when biking near cliffs or overlooks.
The Big South Fork National Recreation Area's biking trails truly provide an epic experience, suitable for both seasoned and budding cyclists. With its range of challenges and unparalleled natural beauty, it's a destination worth exploring. Whether chasing an adrenaline rush or simply wanting to immerse in nature's wonders, this network of trails promises an unforgettable biking adventure.