Nestled in the heart of Dallas, Texas, Big Cedar Wilderness Trails offer 20 miles of meticulously maintained singletrack loops. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned pro, this is a mecca for mountain biking enthusiasts.
To reach Big Cedar Wilderness Trails, head to 7532 Saddleridge Dr Dallas, TX 75249 United States. Take I-20 and go south on Mountain Creek Parkway until you hit Wheatland Road. Turn left and then another left onto Christie just past the fire station. Turn right onto Olom and then left into the trailhead at Eagle Ford. Don't fret, parking is abundant.
- Level: Intermediate
- Distance: 20 miles
- Route Type: Network
- Facilities: Restrooms and water available courtesy of the church which owns the land.
- Waiver: Required for every rider; available online or at a kiosk at the trailhead.
Different Loops for Different Folks
- Orange Loop: Ideal for beginners, this loop takes you winding through tranquil trees.
- White Loop: The central loop with speedy runs, moderate technical areas, and challenging climbs.
- Blue Loop: A quick, adrenaline-pumping descent followed by a climb back to the trailhead.
- Yellow Loop: For the tech-savvy, featuring dips and switchbacks.
- Green Loop: A gentler ride with mild dips and minimal climbing.
- Red Loop: For those who live to climb, featuring numerous switchback climbs.
- Expert-Only Downhill Area: A ramp leads to a 7-8 foot drop into the trail.
- BMX Jumps: Specifically designed for BMXers.
- Trials Area: Large stacked rocks challenge your bike handling skills.
What Riders Are Saying
The trail has received mixed reviews when it comes to signage. First-timers should beware; the trail network is intricate and can be confusing. Despite some of the man-made features showing wear and tear, Big Cedar is highly recommended for its variety and complexity.
- A diverse range of trails catering to all skill levels.
- Scenic views and the highest elevation in Dallas.
- Facilities for restrooms and water, courtesy of the church.
- Stewards keep the trails in excellent condition.
- Confusing signage can make it easy to get lost.
- Some features, like wooden structures, are in need of repair.
Big Cedar Wilderness Trails are a testament to the cycling community's efforts in Dallas. Maintained by the church and local volunteers, the trails offer something for everyone. Whether you're looking to improve your technical skills or just enjoy a leisurely ride, Big Cedar provides a top-notch cycling experience. So, gear up and decide how far you want to push your limits on any given day at Big Cedar.