Nestled in the expansive Hillman St. park near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the Bavington trail offers riders a unique blend of terrain, flow, and challenges. Given its length and varied path options, it stands out as an intermediate-level cyclist's dream.
Trail At A Glance
- Distance: 13 mi
- Level: Intermediate
- Route type: Network
- City: Pittsburgh
- State: Pennsylvania
Navigating the Network
The Bavington trail's defining trait is its vast and interconnected route. The challenge? Deciding the best path. For newcomers, it's advisable to:
- Use Google Maps to locate the starting point at coordinates: N40 27 05.85 W80 24 42.26.
- Come equipped with a detailed map or GPS for a guided experience.
- Watch out for landmarks such as the RC airplane field or the singletrack across the road to guide the way.
Cyclist experiences vary, but a few key points stood out:
- The trail is celebrated for its ability to remain dry during wet seasons, marking it as an ideal destination during rainy periods.
- Comprising almost 30 miles, experienced riders can savor almost the entire trail in a single ride.
- Flow is a consistent highlight, especially along the trailhead at Haul Road and the Figure-8 on Knowlton Hill Road.
- New riders have praised the trail, noting it's beginner-friendly, especially when equipped with a well-suited bike.
- Steep climbs and the occasional overgrown trail can be a challenge. Locals recommend the Figure 8 and SSX, along with the Old Airport Trail, for an exhilarating experience.
- Hunting is permitted on state grounds, making Sundays optimal for rides and requiring riders to sport bright colors during hunting seasons.
- Trail Conditions: Predominantly dry and grippy. The bed of pine needles on most of the trail ensures smooth rides. However, some parts can be dusty and adorned with roots, requiring caution.
- Obstacles: While some found the trail to lack challenging obstacles, others enjoyed the diverse vegetation, from hay fields to maple pine trees, and the mesmerizing views from the ridge.
- Maintenance: Locals have been praised for their regular upkeep of the trail, ensuring that it drains well and remains accessible.
The Bavington trail is more than just a route; it's an experience. From fast, flowy singletracks to challenging ascents and technical spots, it has something for every cyclist. Whether you're in the Pittsburgh area for a day or a season, this trail warrants a spot on the bucket list.