Palo Alto, nestled in the heart of California, presents a gem for novice mountain bikers: Arastradero Park's Bike Trail. This 8-mile network route in the backdrop of Stanford dish offers an easy yet engaging ride. Perfect for those in search of a quick jaunt after work or those rekindling their biking passion after a hiatus.
Navigating the Trail
- Starting at the parking lot, cross Arastradero Rd for an extensive network of trails.
- Main trails predominantly follow doubletrack or fire-road, with occasional short singletrack deviations.
- The ride remains non-technical but punctuated with 1-2 climbs that elevate the heart rate.
- A must-visit highlight is the "bowl" off the bowl loop. Drop into a steep section, and a few pedal cranks in high gear will navigate out of the bowl effortlessly.
How to Get There
- From 280, exit south onto Page Mill Rd (left if driving north from San Jose).
- After roughly 1/4 mile, turn right onto Arastradero Rd. The parking lot can be located on the right about 1/2 mile down Arastradero Rd.
Rider Feedback and Recommendations
- Terrain Observations:
- Presence of downhill and uphill.
- Several commended the climbs for their views and great soil. However, some found the soil to be loose and rocky. Dusty conditions prevail during drier periods.
- Singletracks, though fun, are rather short-lived.
- Trail Experience:
- Widely acknowledged as beginner-friendly, with smooth descents and manageable uphill challenges.
- A notable mountain bike park at the bowl loop's top is highlighted for its fun factor.
- Post-rain conditions can render the trail muddy, adding an element of difficulty.
- Facilities and Considerations:
- The parking lot provides maps, ensuring easy navigation.
- Bathrooms and running water facilities at the base make for prolonged stays.
- Equine riders frequent the park, leading to occasional manure on trails and some ruts.
- Scenic Beauty:
- Backdrops of Stanford dish add a picturesque touch.
- Ample sightings of wildlife including deer, coyotes, foxes, and even snakes.
- The park provides both tranquil open trails and a dedicated mountain bike jump park featuring tabletops, hips, and step-ups.
To conclude, Arastradero Park's bike trail in Palo Alto, California, stands out as an ideal choice for beginners and riders looking for a quick escape amidst nature. With its well-marked routes, captivating scenery, and facilities, it promises a fulfilling biking experience for all.