In the heart of Knoxville, Tennessee, the Urban Wilderness S Loop offers a biking adventure that encapsulates the diversity of trail riding. With an 8-mile length and a level marked at "Intermediate," this trail network includes various sub-trails like Chain Ring, AC/DC, MCR, and Chicken Coop, each with its own unique set of challenges and fun factors. From flowy sections to technical climbs, it's a whole package for mountain biking enthusiasts.
Directions to Trailhead
From James White Pkwy, head south across the Tennessee River. Take a left on Sevierville Pike for a few miles and another left onto Centeroak Dr. Park at the Anderson School parking lot.
- Distance: 8 miles
- Level: Intermediate
- Route Type: Network
- City: Knoxville
- State: Tennessee
- Chain Ring: This is the perimeter trail of the Helix area. It comprises single and some double track, offering long climbs and technical sections.
- AC/DC: Known for its miles of flow, roller coaster bridges, and berms.
- MCR: Offers more flow and is a natural extension after completing AC/DC.
- Chicken Coop: A challenging steep and rooty shortcut that often bypasses most of AC/DC.
- Creek Side Loop: Features a short loop with a long climb at a scenic gravel stream ford.
User Insights and Tips
- Trail Conditions: It's advised to give at least 3 sunny days after rain for the trails to dry out.
- Signage: Trails are well-marked but unmapped, adequate enough to keep you from getting lost.
- Climbs and Obstacles: Most climbs are longish, the last one (going CCW on Chain Ring) offers a steep, rocky technical challenge.
- Flow: Going counter-clockwise on Chain Ring and dropping in at the berm yields the best